Thursday, July 22, 2010

Monks are EVERYWHERE

Last night felt like a typical school day at CAL. I stayed up late writing furiously with nothing but adrenaline and pressure keeping my eyelids from closing. I finally curled into my warm and wonderful bed around midnight (which is extremely late here in Dharamshala), excited for vivid dreams and rejuvenating slumber. HOWEVER, at 4am I was awoken by Ama-la and Gina rushing in my room turning on my lights, slamming cuppards (looking for God knows what), and opening the refrigerator (which filled the room with the smell of raw meat and I nearly puked). Then the dogs came in and tried to hide under my bed but Gina ran after them with a broom shooing them out. Also, I don't know if this was part of my dream of if I was actually talking to Gina, but I THINK she told me that Pa-La was performing some type of Buddhist ritual and I needed to get up, but my brain told me to go back to sleep...so I did. When I finally woke up around 8am I felt like there was something different about the house especially since it was silent. I was also greeted with droplets of butter on the floor and few smeared on my belongings by the fridge. This was by no mistake the doing of Ama-La who is severely senile and uncoordinated.

In efforts of de-stressing from the night before, I went for a run and returned home for a short yoga session. While in the midst of my bridge I opened my eyes and saw a monk standing two feet in front of me just staring. Obviously I was startled and ungracefully fell out of the posture. He just laughed and proceeded to the kitchen with a teapot. Gina informed me that Pa-La requested four monks to come and pray at the house for a full day in hopes of warding off all illnesses experienced by those living in the house. To have a monk in your home is an honor and explains why Ama-La and Gina were frantically running inside and out of my room that morning trying to prepare breakfast for the holy men. As I got ready for work I just listened to the "oms" and ringing of the gong coming from the monks in the temple upstairs.

There is truly no place like Dharamsala.

Oh...and ironically SEWA was in the new york Times today! An Indian woman once labeled as an "untouchable" is now selling her textiles in Manhattan for $6000. Check out her story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/fashion/22Gimlet.html?_r=1
(everything happens for a reason)

Leaving for Amritsar tomorrow at 4am. I think I will be there until Sunday or Monday (or whenever we feel the need to return)....SO EXCITED! Can't wait to tell you all about my journey when I return. Sending love.

1 comment:

  1. the entire time reading this made me create a movie in my mind so it all most feels like i was there watching. Too real , i love it

    ReplyDelete